Tubo's World

Devilant’s KFC Strategy Guide - Topic 10

Topic 10 (Intermediate) - Tactical Tricks

I’m going to start off by saying this: DIRTY TRICKS SHOULDN’T EVER WORK. You’re only going to succeed with one of these tactics if your opponent doesn’t see it coming. What this means is that after you have read this topic, you should rarely fall victim to a dirty trick yourself, and you will be able to "steal" wins against players who don’t know the tricks.
These tricks work best when you know exactly when the opponent is going to move his piece.

Trick #1

The black king’s timer is slightly lower than the white queen’s timer. The white king is unable to safely defend the white queen, so this game is looking rather drawn.

To avoid a draw, white can try dirty trick #1. White knows black will move his king to take white’s queen the moment his timer runs out (waiting any longer allows the queen to recharge). Therefore, he moves his king into danger just as black’s timer runs out:

Black probably takes white’s queen, and is therefore caught by a well-timed white king move.
White’s king will recharge just in time to capture black’s king.
Obviously there is risk involved. If you move the king too early you may give black too much time and enable him to switch from taking the queen to taking your king! If you move too late black’s king will recharge first in the above diagram. Once you get the timing down, however, this can be a very effective tactic.

Trick #2

I would not recommend trying this one more than once against an opponent, as surely they won’t be falling for this twice!
White moves his bishop to attack black’s king:

As before, you know almost exactly when the black king is going to move. You also know that if you’re playing against a human opponent, he won’t be able to move two pieces at exactly the same time:

An attack on black’s queen with the knight at the same moment the bishop forces the king to move will likely win the queen. As I said, don’t try this one more than once!
Trick #3 - by RogueDragon

Random Newbie v. RogueDragon

In this somewhat bizarre game, I had tried to gain an unguarded knight with a swift rook capture; however white quickly supported this with his King, and in the above position is just about to make the capture.

My opponent, secure in the knowledge that he could take the rook and advance his e-pawn to blockade if black moved the king to d6, played this move more than happily, thinking that he had secured the capture of another rook and could now move in for the kill.
"If black moves the king to d6, for example, in an attempt to take the white king with his bishop, white simply plays his pawn forward to block the capture," Devilant explains.
However, alert as ever, Rogue had calculated ahead and found the following...
Kxe6! Followed by Bxh4 wins
Played as soon as possible, this stunned my opponent, who was unable to recapture with his pawn before the white king fell. He admitted afterwards he had not considered such a capture, thinking his position secure. Simple stuff you may think, perhaps. But timing can, as in this example, win games.

Trick #4

This is a timing trick that most players overlook.
White first plays his rook to f5:

Now white is threatening a combination attack on black’s bishop and pawn. White knows black will soon move his bishop, and so is ready to take the pawn with his king the moment the bishop moves:

As long as he takes the pawn immediately after the black bishop moves, the white king will be able to dodge should the bishop try to take it.
Trick #5

In this position, black’s pawn will promote first and will be able to capture white’s pawn when it promotes:

Things look quite bleak for white. However, there is a quite tricky block that saves the game for white:

White sticks his king in the way, blocking black from capturing the pawn when it promotes.

And it’s a draw.

Trick #6

In this position, white has just done a combination on the left side with his bishop and knight (see topic 4 for more on this combination). After black takes the knight with his knight, white would like to recapture with his bishop and defend with the pawn:
However, if black is quick he can block the pawn from defending the bishop with this tricky block:

White loses the bishop.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many, many more tricks and tactics to Kung Fu Chess. And I haven’t even touched on inmove captures yet, which may be coming in the next topic.

back to topic 9  |  main site  |  next topic