Tubo's World

Devilantís KFC Strategy Guide - Topic 12

Topic 12 Ė Common Fundamental Misunderstandings of the Game

I will state right now that if you *know* you understand every fundamental concept of Kung Fu Chess, you should feel free to skip this topic (and let me add that I am dreadfully sorry I wasted your time with topics 1-11 Mr. Expert, although I do wonder why an expert such as yourself is reading a strategy guide).

I have always been astonished by the number of players who lack a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts of Kung Fu Chess. I am likewise astonished by the number of readers who wrote in to tell me they wish Iíd stop describing my emotional state and get to the strategy. So despite how utterly flabbergasted and surprised I am to hear that, thatís what Iím going to do.

Common Fundamental Misunderstandings of the Game in The Opening

1. Playing two pawns side-by-side is good. Itís something I should do every time.
I see this all the time. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about pawns. Playing two pawns side-by-side in the opening can immediately lose a pawn. Observe:

Here black was faster and played his pawn to f5 before white played his pawn to e4. White loses a pawn right off the bat.

Count the pawns. Black has one more. Amazing. Okay itís not. In fact itís very obvious. I guess what isnít obvious is that if black gets his pawn to f5 first, there is *nothing* white can do to save the pawn. I may be wrong, but I think the misunderstanding arises because the white player thinks that this move will save the pawn:

The idea being that this pawn move prevents black from attacking with two pawns as shown above. Well guess what? It doesnít work.

Watch what happens now.

Count the pawns. Black has one more. And itís a passed pawn. What it comes down to is that whiteís opening can be instantly game losing. Fundamentals people!

Hereís how it might play out in a real game:

Black wins easily.
You can see another example game much like this one in Nestrellovís Dutch Stonewall article in Newgenís Strategy Guide.

1. The bishop sac is good. (Thereís a reason it is not mentioned in Topic 6!)
This one is a little less common, mostly because people have no idea what it is (which is good, because itís not a sound play). Hereís what Iím talking about:

The opening bishop sacrifice is used whenever the opponent plays his b (or g) pawn so that it is supported only by one pawn. The indicated pawn is the one that will be taken in the bishop sac. By the way, an opening like this by black can instantly lose, as we just saw. But not by means of the bishop sacrifice.

So why would you want to make this bishop sacrifice? Well it gives you an immediate two passed pawns, which we saw in Topic 9 can be extremely strong.

Looks pretty strong right? And it would be except black obtains a stronger position by sacrificing his bishop right back!

This leaves whiteís pawn unprotected and easily taken, and once that occurs both sides have the same number of pawns but white has an isolated pawn. (See Topic 9 for more on isolated pawns.) Fundamentals people!

back to topic 11  |  main site  |  next topic