Tubo's World

Devilantís KFC Strategy Guide - Topic 13

Topic 13 (Fundamental) Ė The Common Mistakes Involved in the Deployment of the Fundamental Elements of the Basics of the Essentials of the Rudiments of Elementary Kung Fu Chess Which Should Have Been Discussed Earlier in Devilantís Strategy Guide But Were Not - A Critical Analysis of the Weaknesses of Devilantís Strategy Guide and the Ways in Which It Could Have Been Improved

» A Painstakingly Thorough Strategy Examination by Devilant

Now that my strategy guide has been around long enough to successfully pass lucky article #13, (This actually being topic #14, despite what it says at the top. Count them if you donít believe me.) I feel that I have at last written enough strategy that I can write a full strategy article on what is wrong/incorrect with the preceding strategy articles.
...Just kidding! There is nothing wrong or incorrect in the preceding strategy articles. I am absolutely positive that 100% of the preceding strategy is 100% accurate fact ó one might say the preceding strategy is fundamental truth, or even universal law. However, there are unclear segments and incomplete explanations. I will use this Topic to examine some of the 13 preceding Topics to flesh out the unclear/incomplete areas ó all the while revealing more of the Kung Fu Chess strategy that is presumably the reason you are reading this guide. I recommend that you reread each original Topic before reading the Reexamination of that Topic, though this is not a necessity.

A Reexamination of Topic 1
You probably learned Topic 1ís neat tactical trick and then thought, "Hey, thatís a neat tactical trick." Then you moved on to Topic 2 without a deep understanding of the principle detailed in the topic. This was an oversight on my part. Topic 1 does not illustrate a "neat tactical trick". It illustrates a fundamental principle of Kung Fu Chess: To put it in other terms, "a piece that is guarding another piece cannot move without abandoning the guard". This principle extends far beyond the simple example shown in Topic 1.

Once the black queen moves to e4, the pawn defending the queen is immobilized: it cannot take the rook that moves to g4. White wins the pawn on h4.
Blackís pawn cannot take the rook
or black will lose his queen!
Note: You may be thinking it is better for white to play his rook one square further, so as to be able to win the black queen and a black pawn for the cost of one rook. However, the same principle applies to that position as well!

Now whiteís pawn is the one immobilized and black will be able to win the rook via the same sequence as shown in Topic 1.

Another example:

Because blackís queen is immobile, his bishop is also immobile - it cannot move or white wins the queen. White can take advantage of this by forcing blackís bishop to move with a knight attack.

We have seen other examples of this concept throughout the guide. In Topic 6, we saw a manifestation of this principle in "Sacrifice #3: the Feint". In Topic 7, we saw it in "Fake Capturing". In Topic 9, we saw it in the section "Pawn Chains". And in Topic 10, we saw it in "trick #4". So rather than title Topic 1 "a neat tactical trick", I would instead deem it "an overarching tactical principle vital to high level play in Kung Fu Chess" instead.

A Reexamination of Topics 2 and 3
Iím pretty satisfied with Topics 2 and 3. No revisions at the present time.

A Reexamination of Topic 4
Anyone who has played Kung Fu Chess knows that Topic 4 is simply a woefully inadequate look at combination attacks. I think the easiest way to proceed here is to continue the recap at the end of Topic 4, which lists the things you need for a successful combination. For those with worse memory recall than a sluggish ox, hereís a grammatically correct recap of the recap:

To recap - for a combination to succeed, you need:
  1. Two pieces to attack two opposing pieces at the same time.
  2. A pawn which can be played forward to defend the pieces involved in the combination.
To this list, I am now adding a third element of successful combinations.
  1. No effective counter for the opponent.
Consider this:

Countering a combination involves setting up a combination of your own. One way to do this is to attack the "pawn that can be played forward to defend the pieces involved in the combination". Often countering a combination is as simple as playing a single knight or rook move so that it attacks the pawn thatíll be played forward in support.

Now blackís knight will be able to capture the pawn.

So make sure your supporting pieces cannot fall prey to attack before you make a combination.

Another example:

Here white plans to take blackís d pawn via a very basic combination. He plans to play his e pawn forward to support.

However, white just lost a rook!

Black sets up a counter-combination.

So there you go. Make sure your opponent cannot counter your combinations!

A Reexamination of Topic 5
Thereís nothing spectacularly groundbreaking in this Topic but nothing unclear or incomplete either. No revisions at the present time.

A Reexamination of Topic 6
Topic 6 is an excellent Topic, but I feel it is lacking one very key sacrifice that I will now show to ye.

Sacrifice #5 (The useless bishop sacrifice)

In this position white and black are trading pieces on e5. As it stands right now black will be able to survive because he can defend e5 with more pieces than white can attack it with. Whiteís light squared bishop is not useful because e5 is a dark square, so white can put it to use through a sacrifice.

White trades his bishop for a single pawn. The reason for this sacrifice is that it opens up a path for whiteís rooks to attack e5.

Now the path is clear for whiteís
rooks to attack this critical square.
Now white can attack e5 with more pieces than black can. This results in an easy win for white.

A Reexamination of Topics 7, 8, 9, and 10
Allís good here. Iíve nothing further to add just now.

A Reexamination of Topic 11
Topic 11 was basically a rehash of everything Protest_Boy already wrote in his inmove capture guide. I pretty much covered all you need to know, though there is another common situation in which inmoves are often employed which I did not give an example of:

Here blackís queen has only one safe escape path if whiteís knight were to attack it. Anytime a piece has only one escape path you can cut it off via an inmove:

This kind of inmove capture is common whenever the board is locked up as in this example. Keep an eye out for rooks or queens with only one escape path!

A Reexamination of Topic 12
Topic 12 is fine. No revision at this time.

back to topic 12  |  main site  |  next topic